CENTRAL GOVERNMENT SCHEMES
Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
Main Objective: To help Panchayat Raj Institutions deliver Sustainable Development Goals.
It is a new proposed scheme announced in the union financial budget 2016-17 by the Finance Minister Mr. Arun Jaitley.
Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan has been proposed with allocation of Rs. 655 crore.
ABOUT COMPLETE SCHEME
The Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan will strengthen the Panchayati Raj system across the country and address critical gaps that constrain its success. RGSA seeks to:
1. Enhance capacities and effectiveness of Panchayats and the Gram Sabhas;
2. Enable democratic decision-making and accountability in Panchayats and promote people's participation;
3. Strengthen the institutional structure for knowledge creation and capacity building of Panchayats;
4. Promote devolution of powers and responsibilities to Panchayats according to the spirit of the Constitution and PESA Act;
5. Strengthen Gram Sabhas to function effectively as the basic forum of peoples participation, transparency and accountability within the Panchayat system;
6. Create and strengthen democratic local self-government in areas where Panchayats do not exist;
7. Strengthen the constitutionally mandated framework on which Panchayats are founded.